10 days overdue and it is time to start thinking about induction. The word, the command from Scripture for me so far has been “Wait for the LORD,” and I remind myself of this multiple times a day when feeling low. Also, it would be good for me to remind myself of various individuals in the Bible who did not wait on the LORD and suffered for it, but I have not done that, yet. But it is reasonable, I think, to ask how long I am to wait in these circumstances. I’ve got this week, but then things get crazy with kids getting ready for camp, and my siblings visiting, and I really did not expect to be still ‘having a baby’ during those weeks!
So, what I am thinking at this point is to schedule the induction for Friday. This would be 14 days over, the most I feel comfortable with and the most I have any history with. Sam came 14 days late, and was 10 lbs. I wish I could go back to my 27 year old self and see if I was more at peace than I am now in the waiting. What did I do to avoid sitting and stewing? Oh, yeah- two little girls to chase, one 3, one 14 months. And an apartment to pack up; we were moving to Waldo. That would have kept me busy. And, when he was born with a Meningocele on his spine, I had this peace, this knowing that he must have needed the extra time inside. Does this little one have an issue? I will not go there to speculate, but I have to keep thinking that, like Sam, no time is wasted.
I had an induction with Noah after only one week of being overdue. Somehow my doctors were able to spin the facts to convince me that waiting like I did for Sam wasn’t a good idea. I regret doing that. Then, when the time came to think about Micah and Micaiah’s delivery, we decided scheduling an induction a week early was best, as it would eliminate some unknowns and have the hospital staff ready for our arrival, Micah’s arrival, and Micaiah’s stillbirth. A wonderful thing happened then, though- the LORD had me go into labor the night before, confirming that this plan was okay with Him but He wanted to still have it go His way.
Now as I anticipate a third possible induction, I want to bottle up what has been good about the waiting and trusting all these other times, and not forget that He has never forsaken me. Still, I feel like scheduling would be an act of faithlessness in this case. A Plan B, when Plan A, trusting Him, was the only command issued. Thankfully, though, I have until Thursday before I have to make the decision at my next OB appointment. I hope and pray the LORD will take the decision out of my hands.